Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Key West Labor Day Hurricane



This year my students read the book, Blown Away by Joan Hiatt Harlow. This is a wonderful book that tells the story of the 1935 hurricane that hit on Labor Day 1935. The students and myself enjoyed this book, it is a page turner.

After reading the book my students were given two articles about the hurricane. One article was eye witness accounts of the hurricane and the other was factual information about the hurricane. The students used this information to completed a literature writing assignment which included several questions and the front page from a newspaper published the week after the hurricane hit.


For the newspaper students included:
  • title and date
  • illustration and caption
  • eye witness account
  • cover story (factual information about hurricane)
  • how to help victims or how to prepare for hurricane


I love how the newspapers turned out!

3 comments:

  1. I really like this idea. I just ordered the book. The newspaper turned out great. Where did you find the two articles you had them read?

    Thanks for sharing.

    Heather
    room 4 imagination

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,

    I used articles I found online, I did edit them based on what I felt was appropriate for the assignment and my students. My pin drive disappeared when I packed up my room so I can't send the articles I used. Below is the link for the eye witness accounts.

    I hope you and your students enjoy the book as much as we did.


    Sarah

    http://www.theledger.com/article/20100527/NEWS22/5275044

    ReplyDelete